Forums

Happy New Year 2024 !!!

Happy Holidays

I/JG7 "Nowotny" Skin

CFS3 and win 11

IL2 Great Battles series

Lost the Hyperlobby connect screen

HyperLobby 4.3.7 development thread

Anyone Still Doing Skins? (& Another Question)

HyperLobby Online System: Forums

HyperLobby Online System :: View topic - Anyone interested in an SFP1/WoX series dogfight server?
Log in Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search HyperLobby Online System Forum Index
View next topic
View previous topic
streakeagle
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote

A long, long time ago, before Wings Over Vietnam was released, I used to host an Strike Fighters Project 1 multiplayer/online server on Hyperlobby. I left it in dogfight mode to support being unattended most of the time. Every night, I would check in and play for a few hours even anyone else was around and reboot as necessary. When others wanted to, I would take down the dogfight arena and host co-op/team vs team missions while I was available, then restore it back to the free-for-all dogfight host when I went to bed.

As Wings Over Vietnam, Wings Over Europe, and finally Wings Over Israel were released, I continued to host as time permitted. I also would spread the word on how to join my server using Hamachi to overcome some of the routing issues encountered using the Hyperlobby room to join/play.

Strike Fighters 2 progressed to DirectX10 which did not support the DirectPlay library used to implement SFP1/WoX multiplayer, which encouraged me to give up multiplayer for the SF2 improvements in single player.

Would anyone appreciate a Hyperlobby server running one of the games? I think the best way to maximize connectivity is to run stock installs at either the 083006 (August 30, 2006) patch level or the final October 2008 patch level. The older 083006 patch runs faster but needs an ini file tweak to turn off the water shader to avoid CTDs when exiting with Vista/Win7. The final patch offers more aggressive, but somewhat suicidal AI and better modeling of radar missile limitations near the ground. Neither one is perfect, but the speed/stability/popularity of 083006 probably make it the better patch revision unless playing WOI, which requires running at the 2008 patch level.

I need to get my server PC set up and do some hosting tests routing across the internet. However, that shouldn't take but an hour or less depending on whether I run into any problems.

streakeagle
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote

If you check the Wings Over Vietnam room, you can see my dogfight server is up and running. For the time being I am hosting Wings Over Vietnam with a pure stock install patched to 083006. However I extracted the VietnamSEAData.ini file from the cat and disable the water shader (normally "TRUE", now set to "FALSE"). I have a copy of this file available as an attachment at the CombatAce.com Strike Fighters 1 forums. It was uploaded as a "txt" file. After downloading, simply change the extension to "INI" and place in your VietnamSEA terrain folder. Alternatively, if you know how, you can use the SFP1 CAT extractor to create and edit the file yourself, but if it differs from the Server/host PC's install in any way, it may be rejected by the file checker.

streakeagle
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote

CombatAce forum thread that has VietnamSEAData.ini attachment: http://combatace.com/topic/89699-anyone-interested-in-an-sfp1wox-series-dogfight-server/

streakeagle
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote

After having an old veteran show up, I am updating the server to a pure stock Wings Over Vietnam Oct2008b patch. This will make it easier for people to match the server version and be more compatible with Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10

View next topic
View previous topic