Forums

Happy New Year 2024 !!!

Happy Holidays

I/JG7 "Nowotny" Skin

CFS3 and win 11

IL2 Great Battles series

Lost the Hyperlobby connect screen

HyperLobby 4.3.7 development thread

Anyone Still Doing Skins? (& Another Question)

HyperLobby Online System: Forums

HyperLobby Online System :: View topic - Time to rewrite the client guys..
Log in Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search HyperLobby Online System Forum Index
View next topic
View previous topic
bumblebeef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Hyperlobby is great but the client is horrible. This junk is written in VB and all the runtime errors most of us are getting are simply due to the DLL hell VB6 introduces. I've been getting runtime error 0 and runtime error 6 (this one is an overflow) regularly, even after repeatedly installing new versions. I've read other posts and I have full administrator access (and if it has something to do with access, why would a gaming client require full access anyways? bad design).

Not only that, runtime errors don't provide any useful feedback to the developers, we can't tell them the crash address or anything, just runtime error x and a lot of beating around in the dark trying to figure out a possible solution.

I don't know if the devs have noticed but the tray icon does not go away even when the program exits (whats the point of a tray icon when the application does not even minimize to the system tray?). The program has absolutely no options, no right click menu.. nothing.

The automated gaming search option never finds anything either. It always has to be manually entered.

A lot of ranting (I'm just tired of runtime errors) but I say rewrite the client in another/better language than visual basic.. we are almost in 2005 after all

--------
Win NT: 5.1.A28 - Service Pack 2
hlpro.exe 3.7.0.74
aping.exe 1.0.0.16
dexec.exe 1.0.0.5
mswinsck.ocx 6.0.88.4
msvbvm50.dll 5.2.82.44
asycfilt.dll 5.1.2600.2180
comcat.dll 5.0.2600.1
ctl3d.dll No Version Info available!
ctl3dnt.dll No Version Info available!
oleaut32.dll 5.1.2600.2180
olepro32.dll 5.1.2600.2180
stdole2.tlb 3.50.5014.0

Bars
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I dont know about you or other users of HL, but i used HL client for about 3 years on Win98SE, WinMe, WinXP and never had any problems with it, no runtime errors or such. Isnt it strange... oh yes, and i like it as it is, simple design and full access for all kind of users is all we need.

Spatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote

ive been using it since janes died (ww2 fighters) ive always had problems with it but now i cant even use the program because it wont let me connect anymore (freakin update) i need to wait till the next version and see if that works.

THATSHAYNE
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been using Hyper Lobby for 4 years on everything from 95 - XP Pro with very few probs. Any problems I've experienced were due to my own lack of computer management knowledge - Never Hyper Lobby.

The first guy needs to learn basic computer management and some manners - espescially 'R.E.S.P.E.C.T'. - That's one of the common draw backs of Hyper Lobby. Sad

Third guy, (Spatz) needs to learn to manage Win SP2 management (not too hard) and is ok with 'R.E.S.P.E.C.T'

If you notice now with WinSP2 update, there is a Firewall, Anti-virus, and Auto-updates section you need to configure. You'll notice there is a pop-up blocker blocking active X as well. You'll see a thin grey bar appear at the bottom of your task manager (up top). either allow the Active X requested by the client when you try to join each time - right click that grey bar and select allow), or learn to configure this blocker to always allow this .exe to operate.

'R.E.S.P.E.C.T' fully yours',

Gunny
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Time to rewrite the client guys..

Guys? Just one I'm afraid. And he only does it for fun, nothing more.
Take the fun away and you/we will have nothing.
I have none of these problems as 1000,s of other users. When was the last time you formated?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote

as a fellow developer I hate it when people lick your ass and swear that you can do no wrong. The original post had nothing to do with respect, rather I pointed out all the things that were wrong with the current client. Go to the technical forum and look at all the posts, many of them have no answers because nobody knows how to answer them. The client may work great on your system but it doesn't on other system, this does mean it is buggy. Rewrite the client simply means you start fresh rather than just keep releasing the same old client with a few changed buttons here and there.

I don't believe in open source but if you're going to get picky on the "guy" "guys" thing why not make it open source so other developers can help? better than reinventing the wheel.

I'm not going to pee down your back and tell you it's raining. If it's buggy then I'll just say so.

Gunny
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote

As A developer BumbleBeef, What do you enjoy the most, People who support your software or people who call it Junk/badly designed?
You are correct in saying the first post had nothing to do with respect, There was very little. That is not to say that you are a nasty troll, but more on venting ones frustration on having something that does not work for you.
Now you start hinting that people here are asslickers. You really know how to help this free and great service. $hitting in ones own nest, I call it.

So as A "Fellow Developer" you must have a few machines. Do you get the same problems an all of those? If not then tell us all whats different here at the forum. It would be a good help for all, Jiri and the final version of the HL.
This is only a beta you know?

You should try and choose your words more carefully, Things have a better chance of happening.

Jiri has mentioned A 4x version, but free time is the enemy. You must of read that somewhere here, for sure.
Just a question now... What would you prefer the new client be written in?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote

You ask me, I'd re-write in Java, this way you could run it as an application or as an applet from a web browser.

You could write in a dynamic upgrade system (see the Azerus BitTorrent client for an example of this), and a plug-in system that would handle individual games, so you'd only download those plug-ins for those games you had. Well-define the plug-in API to make it easier for others to contribute.

Opensource the project and put it on SourceForge, and invite developers from the HL community to join and help out.

I'd do that, I write Java web apps for a living,...

My $0.02...

335th_GRViper
Postman
Postman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote

Gunny is right
I have never problems with HL.Few people in my squad had a few but mostly were their faults..
By the way, I dont care why HL doesn't minimized to tray,automated gaming searh always finds my games (if are installed Twisted Evil) ,don't need right click when I have all options with one left click!
After all, the purpose is to make me and thousands other users, enjoy on line gaming/flying for free and HL has 100% success there!

Salute!

335th_GRViper
Postman
Postman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote

Quote:

we are almost in 2005 after all Twisted Evil

bumblebeef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:04 am Reply with quote

Gunny wrote:

Now you start hinting that people here are asslickers.

well I'm not interested in name calling so lets just leave that out of the discussion

Quote:

You really know how to help this free and great service. $hitting in ones own nest, I call it.

well just because it's free doesn't mean it you can't criticize it.

Quote:

So as A "Fellow Developer" you must have a few machines. Do you get the same problems an all of those? If not then tell us all whats different here at the forum. It would be a good help for all, Jiri and the final version of the HL.

I would love to help but like I said in my original post there isn't much to say except for the useless runtime error messages. I have one main gaming pc, a server and a couple of other machines. The other pc hyperlobby is on is a windows 2003 server I use for game hosting but I don't use it as much to give any useful feedback.

Quote:

Jiri has mentioned A 4x version, but free time is the enemy. You must of read that somewhere here, for sure.
Just a question now... What would you prefer the new client be written in?

anything but visual basic. I suspect the problems are just from the dll hell problem with VB. If jiri has an idea what is causing the problems then great, I'm looking forward to version 4, but if it's still in visualbasic the runtime errors are going to persist.

355_GRViper wrote:
Quote:

we are almost in 2005 after all

yea because NT 5.1 happens to be WinXP Rolling Eyes or maybe you didn't know this? Rolling Eyes

detsub1
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote

ive never had a problem whith hyper louby except when i was baned!
then i got erors Smile ive ben in hear for almost 2 years i ve ben to ubi and dont go to the pay survices thise is the most stable way of game play ive found next best thing if not = to direct ip conecting! thats my opinion and how do you people get the icons by your name in the post?

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Regarding NT, FYI Windows XP and 2000 are based form Windows NT ...

All other things are already explained in this thread ...

View next topic
View previous topic