Forums

Happy New Year 2024 !!!

Happy Holidays

I/JG7 "Nowotny" Skin

CFS3 and win 11

IL2 Great Battles series

Lost the Hyperlobby connect screen

HyperLobby 4.3.7 development thread

Anyone Still Doing Skins? (& Another Question)

HyperLobby Online System: Forums

HyperLobby Online System :: View topic - Why always ISDN ?? rate default in FB ?
Log in Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search HyperLobby Online System Forum Index
View next topic
View previous topic
II_JG54_Zent
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Since FB and the new HL versions i am completely puzzled. IN il2 the Network setting defined the client rate according to Jiri. I f i was setting more then 14.4 k i got stuttering when hosting more then 10 people.
Now in FB there is always set ISDN as default, although i do have a ADSL connection with 768kbit down and 128Kbit upload and in HL . ini client rate is set properly to 2000. If i set Network in FB manually 14.4 k people complain about warping if i host. Why is there isdn default ? Is this right with my connection ?
ANother member of us has a 100 Mbit/s broadband connection and a P4 2600, what settings should he use ???
Its all so strange and as usual not documented or in the FAQ. Could things like this and networksettings not be included/explained in the FAQ and if changed mentioned in the revision history ?

Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Win NT: 5.1.A28 - Service Pack 1
hlpro.exe 3.2.0.50
aping.exe 1.0.0.16
dexec.exe 1.0.0.5
mswinsck.ocx 6.0.89.88
msvbvm50.dll 5.2.82.44
asycfilt.dll 3.50.5014.0
comcat.dll 5.0.2600.1
ctl3d.dll No Version Info available!
ctl3dnt.dll No Version Info available!
oleaut32.dll 3.50.5016.0
olepro32.dll 5.0.5014.0
stdole2.tlb 3.50.5014.0

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:25 pm Reply with quote

II_JG54_Zent wrote:
Since FB and the new HL versions i am completely puzzled. IN il2 the Network setting defined the client rate according to Jiri. I f i was setting more then 14.4 k i got stuttering when hosting more then 10 people.
Now in FB there is always set ISDN as default, although i do have a ADSL connection with 768kbit down and 128Kbit upload and in HL . ini client rate is set properly to 2000. If i set Network in FB manually 14.4 k people complain about warping if i host. Why is there isdn default ? Is this right with my connection ?
ANother member of us has a 100 Mbit/s broadband connection and a P4 2600, what settings should he use ???
Its all so strange and as usual not documented or in the FAQ. Could things like this and networksettings not be included/explained in the FAQ and if changed mentioned in the revision history ?

Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Win NT: 5.1.A28 - Service Pack 1
hlpro.exe 3.2.0.50
aping.exe 1.0.0.16
dexec.exe 1.0.0.5
mswinsck.ocx 6.0.89.88
msvbvm50.dll 5.2.82.44
asycfilt.dll 3.50.5014.0
comcat.dll 5.0.2600.1
ctl3d.dll No Version Info available!
ctl3dnt.dll No Version Info available!
oleaut32.dll 3.50.5016.0
olepro32.dll 5.0.5014.0
stdole2.tlb 3.50.5014.0

Dont worry about it its the best settings Wink When you want know, try search this forum ...

II_JG54_Zent
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Dear Jiri,

i do worry and i do definitely want to know what its all about. I cherish your work and the time you invest to even answer my mail, but please, an answer like "Dont worry" makes me feel very bad. I want to know ! And of course i searched the forum but i found only old posts which referred more to Il2 and didnt really adress what i was talking about. Maybe i missed soemthing, then pls have the kindness to show me the thread.
So far i now: clientrate 14.4 k =2000 in HL ini, server rate is not explicitly set in Hl.ini, but it default s in game to ISDN, but why ?? And are you really sure that its best like that even with a big broadband connection lilke that of my friend ? THe reason i ask is that we get alot of warping even with big connections if we go over 12 players and big CPUs, so we want to figure it out and understand what is happening. We also use RW which should take another 3-5 k bit as i was informed, so we would also like to know whether this might influence the setting calculations.

I have to say, that it is my biggest source of anger about HL that it is so scarcely documented technicalwise. I would even donate some money for a good documentation. Similar btw with Il2/FB,a lot of cryptic possibilities, conf.ini files and no good documentation at all. But thats another topic.

Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Its rule Laughing

When u got probllem try search ....

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=265&highlight=speed

PS: Tully's post are important

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Now its in the FAQ ...

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=HyperLobby+FAQ#19

II_JG54_Zent
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:00 pm Reply with quote

JG27*Hyper wrote:
Its rule Laughing

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=265&highlight=speed

Dear Jiri,
thank you for the response and link, but
of course i have searched the whole forum before and i read the thread before posting. I know why HL defaults the clients to 14.4, this is clear, but i still dont know why it defaults me as a host to ISDN when i am using ADSl connection.
Wouldnt i get higher bandwidth as server if i hand out as DSL connection ?
Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote

II_JG54_Zent wrote:
JG27*Hyper wrote:
Its rule Laughing

Dear Jiri,
thank you for the response and link, but
of course i have searched the whole forum before and i read the thread before posting. I know why HL defaults the clients to 14.4, this is clear, but i still dont know why it defaults me as a host to ISDN when i am using ADSl connection.
Wouldnt i get higher bandwidth as server if i hand out as DSL connection ?
Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

This settings not affecting rate of the server.. Server uses always all posible bandwidth ....

II_JG54_Zent
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Ok, Jiri, thank you again.
This is different now in FB then it was in IL2. In Il2 when i was hosting, the network setting did definitely influence the hosting a lot, When i was setting anything more then 14.4 k Network as a host i got immediate stuttering of my own plane (i was flying myself too and i got fps drop to 2-16), if more then 10 players were in. If i was resetting iit to 14.4 it went all fine with even up to 14 players. According to you this has been changed now in FB, that was the reason of my confusion/question.
So the NEtwork setting has no influence at all if being a host, FB will use all available up- and download bandwidth disregarding the Network setting. Network setting just is working when i am a client and clients should thus make sure their Network is set to 14.4k as default and not change it.
Did i get it right ??
Btw, where do you get all this information from ? Oleg ? Did you find out yourself ? Just curious and full of admiration.

Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote

II_JG54_Zent wrote:
Ok, Jiri, thank you again.
This is different now in FB then it was in IL2. In Il2 when i was hosting, the network setting did definitely influence the hosting a lot, When i was setting anything more then 14.4 k Network as a host i got immediate stuttering of my own plane (i was flying myself too and i got fps drop to 2-16), if more then 10 players were in. If i was resetting iit to 14.4 it went all fine with even up to 14 players. According to you this has been changed now in FB, that was the reason of my confusion/question.
So the NEtwork setting has no influence at all if being a host, FB will use all available up- and download bandwidth disregarding the Network setting. Network setting just is working when i am a client and clients should thus make sure their Network is set to 14.4k as default and not change it.
Did i get it right ??
Btw, where do you get all this information from ? Oleg ? Did you find out yourself ? Just curious and full of admiration.

Yours,
II/JG54_Zent

Is the same as i wrote Smile Only one thing is that network settings can be change during game in the host session (bug ?). but changes not affect anything .... When you have look in to hlpro.ini you can found that those HL forced settings are fully adjustable for client and server session ( in all hl versions ). I think in FB are not changet anything , regarding those informations...

Btw, to get those informations i spent some hours of testing with my friends (some are listed in the credits) and remember that i had IL2 and FB beta version a lot of moths before public release ... I had few exchanged emails with Oleg but it was not regarding getting his information for me, but with providing my ideas for his ... When u want explore IL2/FB netcode functionality you can use some IL2 console commands (session, sockets, etc). The rules i was used here are the same for Quake games, Unreal, and other multiplayer titles, and generally used by all online games with more advanced net engines. Only one diference are that i have forced those "optimall and minimnal" settings directly in to the game by HL Wink

II_JG54_Zent
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Very interesting, i will try the console commands.
I had a look in to the HLpro.ini, i cant find server settings in there anymore for FB, only the clientrate=2000 , only in the Il2 demo part serverRate=10000 is set. Could i set a serverRate= xxyy command in the FB section and it would influence something ?

Yours,
Zent

Btw: you have answered so much Very Happy , if its getting to tiring for you to satisfy my curiosity i wouldnt mind if you say so and finish the thread. If not, i am glad to learn from you Idea .

Jiri-Fojtasek
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:18 pm Reply with quote

II_JG54_Zent wrote:
Very interesting, i will try the console commands.
I had a look in to the HLpro.ini, i cant find server settings in there anymore for FB, only the clientrate=2000 , only in the Il2 demo part serverRate=10000 is set. Could i set a serverRate= xxyy command in the FB section and it would influence something ?

Yours,
Zent

Btw: you have answered so much Very Happy , if its getting to tiring for you to satisfy my curiosity i wouldnt mind if you say so and finish the thread. If not, i am glad to learn from you Idea .

serverrate are broken feature because it not affect anything Smile, but still can be used .... It settings the speed limits for the IL2/FB server session, but this setting not affecting server maximum rate limits ...,

View next topic
View previous topic