Forums

Happy New Year 2024 !!!

Happy Holidays

I/JG7 "Nowotny" Skin

CFS3 and win 11

IL2 Great Battles series

Lost the Hyperlobby connect screen

HyperLobby 4.3.7 development thread

Anyone Still Doing Skins? (& Another Question)

HyperLobby Online System: Forums

HyperLobby Online System :: View topic - Experienced pilot new to combat. needs some help from an ace
Log in Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search HyperLobby Online System Forum Index
View next topic
View previous topic
Gun_Kata

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quote

First of all, im not a n00b to aviation by any means. Im quite an accomplished navigator and have a bit of real world yoke time. I have recently got into this series and it is my crack Smile I am hooked. But im trouble with some dogfighting issues and cant seem to get more than one kill before dying myself.

So... If any of you big dogs would like to teach me a thing about Combat aviation please feel free to coach me here. or in game. I already know the basic theories, such as alt. and airspeed advantages and my biggest problems seem to be manageing my flaps and throttle during combat. I have seen some amazing pilots online and if any of you guys can teach me how to manipulate my throttle and flaps in combat drop me some pointers. TIA

FatElvis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote

I am by no means a "big dog", but I do have a plan, an inkling of an idea of what I need to learn and know how to google. My first time playing online in IL2 was yesterday and the banks, dives, climbs I did against AI "average pilots" offline just do not work very well online with pilots that have any experience. Shortly after my first online play, I realized I didn't know nearly enough to even hold my own, let alone win, so I logged out with the intention of learning what I can so when I return, I can at least give people a run for their money.

First off, know your plane. Rate of climb, roll rate, stall speeds for different angles, top speed, how fast it bleeds off speed and probably other things I missed. Know this about planes you may be fighting against as well. Different planes do respond differently. Some are better stall fighters, some are better energy fighters. That is all I have to say from what I knew and it was just a repeat of what I heard. the rest is links for you to read over yourself.

In my search of the web, many results came back, but these three seem to represent the crux of what all the others say.

This first one is from Janes and gives discriptions and pictures of basic air combat maneuvers. I would recommend you print them out, load up your flight sim with no opponent and just practice all the maneuvers over and over solo. Know what each maneuver is used for and get comfortable with them.

AIR COMBAT MANEUVER

The second link gives a few tracks you can load up into IL2 to view ( I am assuming IL2/Pacific Fighters FB, you didn't really say what sim you play) these maneuvers in action as well as a read me file that explains the fine points.

TRACKS OF ACM

The third one is chock full of very useful stuff I haven't had a chance to do more than browse over yet, but it looks promising.

SimHQ.com ACM

Enjoy.

Gun_Kata

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Heh... Yeah, once I discovered that I could kill 4 ace level AI's with 1 aircraft I thought I would be able to compete with these online guys. How wrong I was lol.(I play FB+AEP+PF BTW) I have gotten my share of kills, enough to keep me playing anyways, but Standard ACM does not work online. These virtual pilots know how to counter them and therefore make them the predictable geometry of air combat. In short using immelman's and barrel rolls will get you killed quickly. Also I have found that using energy based fighters like the P-51 or P-38's put you at a disadvantage due to the fact that enemy aircraft are everywhere. Boom n Zoom on one guy will score you a kill only to end up in someone elses gunsights. A question I have is .....
During combat should I leave my combat flaps open for the whole time or should I only extend them before firing then raise them again to aquire my speed back?

AT_61
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Flaps help to keep the nose down in slow flight , to help in looseing Alt. and mostly to turn sharper.

I pull throttle back drop flaps then turn and throttle up in the turn and raise flaps near the end of the turn .

slow turning fight combat flaps will give U more lift than drag .

And in low speed dive U may dump flaps to loose Altitude quickley with little speed gain when used in combination with a forward slip.

Forward slip is banking the aircraft one way and holding the turn off with oppisite rudder , watch the airspeed , if it remains stable U are then in a slip. If ya speed up Ur not slippn very good .

hers a good link for online ACM http://www.sci.fi/~fta/index.htm

Erkki_M
Post Newbie
Post Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote

Iam not an ace... But I have some tips for you.

Firstly, try to fly Czechwar on german side, if you stay using Boom & Zoom you arent in immediate danger against russkie planes, but against P-40 you might have problems.

2nd if you have TS try to catch some people to fly with you using TS, it helps a lot, but usually it makes people forget to check their six...

3rd remember always to gain altitude when you have oppoturnity to do so, even when you have sighted enemy, dont head directly on them but gather altitude and head on them when you have about 1000 meters more altitude or more. When you are above them, Bom and Zoom, and DO NOT surrender into turn fight, especially with I-16, I-153, LaGG and P40 unless you are superior in numbers.

By the way if you want to fight red side and you are in need of a squad, check http://koti.mbnet.fi/erkki_m/elaivue1.html Wink

RaiderZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote

check here for tips
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/48310655/m/4841038152

Our squad can take your flying to the next level

View next topic
View previous topic