Forums

Happy New Year 2024 !!!

Happy Holidays

I/JG7 "Nowotny" Skin

CFS3 and win 11

IL2 Great Battles series

Lost the Hyperlobby connect screen

HyperLobby 4.3.7 development thread

Anyone Still Doing Skins? (& Another Question)

HyperLobby Online System: Forums

HyperLobby Online System :: View topic - Resolution Issue when joining a game from Hyperlobby.
Log in Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search HyperLobby Online System Forum Index
View next topic
View previous topic
No1_Reggie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote

Hello all, hope someone may be able to help me here. I am going to copy and paste all the relevant details from my thread at the IL2 Forums so you will have all the info you need.

It will be a fairly long read so i hope you will bear with me. Many thanks for your patience. Very Happy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Initial Post.
Hello all, done a forum search and found a few issues where hyperlobby was resetting desktop resolution - however my issue is somewhat different.

I have modified my ini file to run as shown below to run a little better on my 22" widescreen.

[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Running the game from the exe or shortcut and playing offline everything is fine. Connecting to an online game using the hosts ip address everything is fine.

However when i try to join a game from within Hyperlobby my resolution seems to change and i get 2 large black bars down either side of my screen like so:

I have checked Hyperlobby's path and run the game from the exact exe that Hyperlobby is pointing to and have no problem - this problem ONLY occurs when joining a game through Hyperlobby.

Any ideas? Is there anything that may cause Hyperlobby to resize or change my resolution? Advice much appreciated.

Reply from Urufu.
quote:
Originally posted by No1_Reggie:
Yes i know it is very odd and i also thought that Hyperlobby would not be able to affect the resolution of the game.

Oh well i guess i will have to keep digging and see if i can figure anything out. The only thing i wonder is if this is a Vista oddity.

My line of thinking is that some under certain circumstances in vista find they have two conf.ini files, one in the game folder and one is app data I think, the second one is the one used, I think perhaps when hyperlobby launches the game for some reason it's using a second conf.ini, search you harddrive for it and see if there is indeed a second one.

My Reply.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone - i am afraid i am no nearer to finding the problem.

I have done a full scan and search for conf.ini files - there is only 1 file and it is in the IL2 main directory where it should be.

I have done another complete uninstall of HL and re-install and that has also made no difference.

Vbruntime is installed as is java both of which are also up to date.

I must say i am starting to run out of options and ideas. I really dont want to have to go down the whole re-install route as that is so time consuming - and i dont actually know if it will sort the issue out either.

Reply from Fooltrottel.
Check the options of both the shortcuts you use to start IL2 and Hyperlobby, whether the 'run as administrator' is switched on, or off.

(Hm, even if both are run as admin, would that mean if HL starts IL2 it will run it as admin? Probably will.)

Please check the settings, and report back...

My Reply.
Ok checked both shortcuts. Both are set to run as Administrator both as shortcuts and as the applications themselves in the .exe files. . .

This has got to be the most illogical thing i have ever come across in all my years with pc's

Reply from Fooltrottel.
Yep... weird stuff...

Now, is there a possibility for you to check the Users\Administrator folder? Is it there?

My theory is that there's conf.ini in there, but possibly not accessible to a normal user...

What if Vista uses that one?
You can change all you want in YOUR conf.ini, but that has no effect on the administrator's one...

Repeat: I'm guessing... Urufu? Help?

Reply from Urufu.
I tend to agree, the multiple conf.ini theory just "feels right". I cannot for the life of me think of any other reason for this strange behavior. Reggie, are you using more than one user account? Did you say if UAC was on or off? There is a way to take control of the true administrator account in vista (google it), maybe that will help in finding the problem? This is indeed VERY weird.

My Final Reply to date.
Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys.

Ok here is what i have tried last night -

1). Checked Fooltrottel's idea -I have only 3 folders - My user, Default User and Public user. Searched all of them - no config files anywhere to be seen.
2). I have only one account Urufu, no others.
3). I have tried with UAC both on and Off - it makes no difference.
4). True Administrator account makes no difference.
5). I uninstalled Hyperlobby again and manually went through my registry deleting every entry left behind after uninstall. Re-installed. Again no difference.

Now here is something interesting - i dont know if it will help you guys at all, because i did discover something last night.

If i go into IL2 Setup and select any resolution in there right up to the maximum it will allow which is 1280 x 960 everything works fine. Checking the conf.ini file - it has obviously been changed to the setting i have used in IL2 Setup. Join a multiplayer game in Hyperlobby - presto i have my full screen back.

Ok so now i think it is working as it should. Try manually editing the conf.ini file again - nope the problem comes back.

It seems that it may be something preventing me from increasing the resolution higher than allowed in IL2. This is odd as i have used IL2 at 1680 x 1050 before - and as mentioned in my first post i get that resolution offline if i adjust the conf.ini manually. The only area where the problem crops up again is Hyperlobby games.

Any ideas?

Doddlebug
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote

I'll bet you a dollar that you have two installs of IL-2 1946
and the hyper lobby links one, and your icon links another.

DB/Sgt.Slaughter

Doddlebug
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote

Doddlebug wrote:
I'll bet you a dollar that you have two installs of IL-2 1946
and the hyper lobby links one, and your icon links another. Cool

It will cause that if the install accessed by your icon has the widescreen ini information
and the other accessed by Hyperlobby does not. Wink

DB/Sgt.Slaughter

No1_Reggie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote

Nope, new pc just built - fresh install of IL2 - no second install of IL2 at all.

Have done several system scans, there is only 1 conf.ini file existing - in the single IL2 install, so it definately is not that.

Doddlebug
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, but, as I see it, that is the only was that Hyperlobby can be different than
your icon settings.

Hyperlobby changes no settings in the video at all.

DB/Sgt.Slaughter

No1_Reggie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% - i am not saying the problem is HL at all and i know that it will not affect my resolution in any way. I have searched everywhere on my pc in detail as have others. We cannot find the existence of more than 1 conf.ini file - and that is the one in the IL2 install file as previously mentioned.

If the second conf file is there - then i certainly cannot find it.

I guess nobody has any other suggestions so i will probably start looking at a re-install. Very Happy

La7_Baalberith
Dude
Dude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

this game doenst suports widescreen natively. as u decided to edit the config file to 1680x1050, and the game remains its 4:3, this will result in the black borders left/right.

Doddlebug
Hyper Postman
Hyper Postman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Nope, the widescreen is not "native" but it can be forced.

The settings below are for 1920x1200 widescreen.

First thing is to get all your video settings where you want them.
Best to do it in game, there you can select perfect mode if desired.
Then exit the game

Now find your folder containing the il2fb.exe and other system files.

Copy the conf.ini file to another folder for a backup.

Open the conf.ini file.

Edit the lines in red.

The example below is for 1920x1200 res

[il2]
title=Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Save the file.
Change the properties on the conf.ini to read only.

Have fun!

DB/Sgt.Slaughter

View next topic
View previous topic